QEC History – Key Dates

1871 King’s College Lectures for Ladies begin in Richmond and Twickenham.
1878 Lectures move to Vestry Hall, High Street, Kensington.
1879 Lectures move to 5 Observatory Avenue (9 Horton Street).
1881 King’s College Council resolves to establish a separate department for “the higher education of women”.
1885 The Ladies’ Department opens at 13 Kensington Square, recognised as an official Department of King’s College.
1902 The Ladies Department becomes the Women’s Department.
1908 King’s College for Women inaugurated as an independent College within the University.
Home Science and Economics classes started.
1913 King’s College for Women Delegacy constituted independently from King’s College, London.
The Haldane Commission recommends dissolution of King’s College for Women.
1915 Household and Social Science Department, King’s College for Women, opens at Campden Hill Road. Remaining departments amalgamate  on the Strand site.
1920 University grants a B.Sc. Degree in Household and Social Science.
1928 The College becomes completely independent as King’s College of Household and Social Science.
The title King’s College for Women is established.
1930 Buildings completed in accordance with original designs.
1936 Academic Postgraduate Diploma in Dietetics inaugurated.
1939 College evacuated to University College, Cardiff.
1940 College relocated to Leicester.
1944 East Block severely damaged by enemy action.
1946 College returns to Campden Hill and rebuilding begins.
1948 Freehold of College Buildings acquired in addition to Holly Lodge and Thornwood Lodge.
1953 Royal Charter granted and name changed to Queen Elizabeth College
Men admitted
Old degree replaced with BSc (Nutrition) and BSc (Household Science)
East Wing reopened by Her Majesty Princess Alice.
1955 Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother visits College for the first time.
1956 Recognition as a School of the University in the Faculty of Science granted.
1957 BSc (General) begins.
1958 Golden Jubilee celebrated; Sir John Atkins retires as Chairman of the Council.
1961 First phase of Sir John Atkins Laboratories opened.
1968 Atkins Building completed.
1972 Murray report published.
first attempts made at merging with other Colleges of the University.
1981 Swinnerton-Dyer Report pessimistic about College’s survival. The Court of the University cuts recurrent grant by 20%.
1982 Reunification with King’s College London first proposed.
1985 Amalgamation with Chelsea College and King’s College completed.
1985-today QEC Association keeps the name of the College alive

 

All the above courtesy of Neville Marsh’s book “The History of Queen Elizabeth College